I created a series of illustrative portraits of inspirational NZ women as a personal project. This was somewhat inspired by my daughter’s love of a book I bought her called “Bedtime Stories for Rebel Girls” which features the true stories of 100 inspiring women from around the world. It was also inspired by Australian artist Del Kathryn Barton and being really drawn to her stylised line work and use of black pen and watercolour. I love illustrated editorial style illustrations and would love to pursue this further.
The women I featured in my portraits are a mix of well known and not well known, but all world leaders in their area of speciality, and women I personally admire.
- Jacinda Ardern – NZ’s prime minister, youngest female world leader and had a baby while in office.
- Dame Valerie Adams – multiple Olympic and world champion shotput athlete.
- Lorde – world famous musician, acclaimed for breaking the mould of Hollywood stereotypes and being really talented.
- Jonelle Price – eventing equestrian, highest ranked female eventer in the world currently, in top 5 ranked world eventers men and women.
- Courtney Duncan – motocross, currently leading women’s world motocross championships.
Illustrated Portraits – Personal Project
Black Pen, Watercolour, Paper, 210x297mm