The El Rancho crew are in action this week for IVW. Catch Savage Mansion (The Glad Cafe) and Tomorrow Syndicate (The Blue Arrow) this Thursday in Glasgow and Savage Mansion again on Sunday in Edinburgh’s Summerhall.
The Flying Duck & Independent Venue Week present new music for 2020. Programmed by El Rancho and showcasing fresh local produce and ones to watch from Glasgow. Check the dates below and follow the links for more info on the great acts playing.
Wed 29/01 – Hung Parliament / Manuka Honey Band / Kimona
Thur 30/01 – GRAVELLE / Leather Corridor / Natalie Pryce
Fri 31/01 – Nekkuro Hána / Conor Heafey / Taxidermy Cab
Sat 01/02 – The Just Joans / Pocket Knife / Marble Gods
Sun 02/02 – Black Cat Revue / Space Rocket Garage Band / Supercloud
All tickets are £6 in advance from Tickets Scotland & See Tickets.
Living legend Iggy Pop played The Roves single ‘Hey Little Man’ on his ‘Iggy Confidential’ show on BBC6 Music last night, kick starting the show no less! Iggy went on to give his personal feelings on the track which were pretty on point and cool to hear, especially in his distinctive drawl. Check out the show here… https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000d1lz
‘Hey Little Man’ also appeared on Gideon Coe’s show on Monday 6th Jan making it the 3rd time he’s played The Roves since the single came out in September. Check the show here… https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000czjn
Keep posted for more exciting content in 2020.It’s only just begun…
Happy New Year to one and all! In 2019 El Rancho released ‘Hey Little Man’ by The Roves and ‘The Pleasures of the Table’ by The Lawnmower, two of the best pop singles released all year! I’m honoured to have worked with both bands and I hope 2020 brings more magic from them!
I wasn’t going to list my favourite new albums as no one really cares and you know, it exposes my taste but it is what it is! Anyway it’s nice to let the artists know I enjoyed them, so here they are…
1. Tim Presley – I Have to Feed Larry’s Hawk (Drag City)
2. Bremer/McCoy – Dråber (Bremer/McCoy Music)
3. World Brain – Peer 2 Peer (Mansions and Millions)
4. Young Guv – GUV I (Run For Cover)
5. Kell Her – With Kindness (OGenesis)
6. Purple Mountains- Purple Mountains (Drag City)
7. Modern Nature – How To Live (Bella Union)
8. Aldous Harding – Designer (4AD)
9. Helado Negro- This Is How You Smile (RVNG Intl.)
10. Garcia Peoples – Natural Facts (Beyond Beyond Is Beyond)
11. Velveteen Rabbit – Velveteen Rabbit (HoZac)
12. Drugdealer – Wild Honey (Mexican Summer)
13. Faye Webster – Atlanta Millionaires Club (Secretly Canadian)
14. Rose City Band- Rose City Band (Thrill Jockey)
15. Max and the Martians – Curtains EP (Max Bien-Kahn)
16. Weyes Blood – Titanic Rising (Sub Pop)
17. N0V3L – NOVEL (Meat Machine)
18. Vanishing Twin – The Age Of Immunology (Fire)
19. Fontains D.C. – Dogrel (Partisan)
20. Uranium Club – The Cosmo Cleaners (Static Shock)
21. Kaputt! – Kaputt! (Upset The Rhythm)
22. Chris Cohen – Chris Cohen (Captured Tracks)
I was late to discover these but I’ve been enjoying them this past week…
Traffik Island – Nature Strip (Flightless)
Djo – Twenty Twenty (Joe Keery)
I probably spent more time on reissues and mixcloud mixes of undiscovered gems so a shout out to… Anthology, Numero Group, Mr Bongo, Light in the Attic, Growing Bin Records, Unseen Worlds, Mutual Intentions, Reverberation Radio, Radio Jiro, Maison Dufrene, Torn & Frayed, Backroad to Nowhere.
Love & Respect to everyone making and releasing new music and the labels, DJs and collectives pulling lost and forgotten music out of the past and introducing it to us!